Cigna Mental Health Insurance Coverage & Care Providers
There are hundreds of millions of patients who have health insurance through Cigna Mental Health. There is confusion about what exactly your insurance plan covers for many, though, when it comes to substance abuse and mental health services. So, does Cigna cover the cost of behavioral health recovery treatment? The short answer is yes, it will cover at least some of the price, but this page is intended to help you determine what your Cigna mental health insurance does and does not cover.
We Level Up strives to provide you with the most updated information on each carrier’s mental health insurance coverage, but policy changes and errors occur. Please check with your insurance carrier directly to confirm coverage levels.
Cigna Mental Health Coverage Benefits
What are Cigna Mental Health Benefits?
These benefits provide coverage to enable the treatment of mental health conditions under employer-sponsored health plans. Your employer’s plan may include access to:
- The Behavioral Health network of licensed mental health providers
- Mental health services and follow up case management services
- Consultations, referral services and outpatient services
- Referrals to local community support groups, behavioral coaches, and online resources
What you need to know about how Cigna mental health coverage works
- Follow your employer’s medical plan requirements to make an appointment with a psychiatrist (a mental health medical doctor), a therapist or an inpatient treatment hospital. Your doctor, counselor or therapist may also refer you and help you coordinate care or treatment.
- Pay your share of costs according to your plan. For plans with a deductible, pay for covered care until you meet the plan deductible, if the plan has one. When you meet the deductible, the plan starts to cover some or all of your costs as outlined in your plan documents. Your mental health and substance use coverage is included under your employer’s medical plan; there’s no separate deductible.
Check your plan documents for information about treatments as you may need prior approval from Cigna before you get the service to receive coverage under your plan.
Does Cigna Mental Health Cover Co-Occuring Disorder Rehab Treatment?
Yes, Cigna covers substance abuse treatment for its members. Cigna has partnerships with addiction rehab facilities throughout the country to provide a variety of detox, inpatient residential, and outpatient services at discounted rates to members. In addition, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires that insurance companies provide some degree of coverage for mental health treatment, which includes substance use disorder (SUD) treatment (including coverage for drug and alcohol addiction).
Inpatient Mental Health Recovery Treatment
The amount of coverage provided to you by Cigna mental health can vary widely based on your state of residence, whether the facility is in or out-of-network, the length of your stay, and your health insurance plan level. The cost of mental health treatment will vary from person to person. It will also depend on the rehab center, the type of program attended, and specific services received.
How to Check Your Cigna Mental Health Rehab Coverage and Insurance Benefits
Before you decide which rehab center might be best for your needs, it’s essential to check your insurance benefits to understand what costs your insurance provider covers and which ones you are responsible for. Knowing precisely what your Cigna plan covers can give you peace of mind while you or your loved one is recovering from a mental health condition.
Q: What are the coverage levels and plans for Cigna Mental Health?
Ans: Cigna health plans fall into several categories, and the features of those plans may vary based on your –
- State of residence
- Employer (if you obtained insurance through your employer).
- Qualification for healthcare funded by the state/federal government. Typically, government-funded healthcare includes:
- Medicaid, which typically applies to low-income individuals.
- Medicare, which is mostly for seniors or people with certain health conditions.
- The decision to select your plan through the Affordable Care Act (ACA) marketplace (rather than your employer)
So what plans does Cigna mental health offer? Cigna’s health insurance plans fall into several main categories:
- Health maintenance organization (HMO): An HMO plan tends to be a good option for people who are ok with a limited number of providers within the Cigna network that they can see. HMO plans cover care provided by physicians and facilities contracted directly with the insurance company
- Exclusive provider organization (EPO): An EPO plan allows patients to have more flexibility in selecting a doctor or facility for healthcare needs. However, there are services that Cigna may not cover if they are out of network.
- Preferred provider organization (PPO): A PPO plan lets patients choose from a wider range of healthcare providers. Still, receiving care outside of the network often results in higher out-of-pocket costs.
In addition, Cigna mental health also provides two other options:
- LocalPlus: This plan is an affordable way that patients can receive healthcare services from a limited network. Your plan can either only include services from the network, or you can consist of out-of-network services (for an additional cost).
- Open access plan (OAP): While similar to a PPO plan, an OAP plan has a more extensive network of providers. OAP plans also permit you to pay additional costs to go outside of the network.
We Level Up FL accept Cigna mental health insurance PPO plans. Call for a no obligation free insurance verification.
Q: Do Treatment Centers Need to be in Network?
Ans: In-network providers have a contract with the insurance carrier to offer rehab services at a set price. This means that your out-of-pocket expenses will typically be lower than if you choose an out-of-network facility. In some cases, you may even be responsible for the total cost of addiction treatment if you choose an out-of-network facility.
Whenever possible, try to choose a rehab facility that is in-network with Cigna. If you are unable to find an in-network provider or prefer an out-of-network facility, you may be able to work out a payment plan with the rehab facility so you can pay back the cost of treatment over time.
Q: How to verify the coverage of your Cigna plan?
Ans: The cost of mental health treatment will vary from person to person. It will depend on the rehab center, the type of program attended, and specific services received.
Before deciding on a rehab facility, check your Cigna policy benefits to determine which costs will be covered by your insurance plan and which will be out-of-pocket for you. Then, call the number on your insurance card or log in to your Cigna’s website account to determine how much you may need to cover in terms of copays and any deductible that must be reached before coverage kicks in for the services you need.
We Level Up can also verify your insurance coverage for you. Visit the insurance verification page, enter your information, and you will immediately be able to see if the recovery center you are considering is in-network with Cigna. Then, please speak to one of our admissions navigators to check your benefits and help you understand what is covered.
At We Level Up Treatment Center provides world-class care with round-the-clock medical professionals available to help you cope. In addition, we work as an integrated team providing information about Cigna insurance and other aspects of treatment. Make this your opportunity to reclaim your life. Call today to speak with one of our treatment specialists. Our counselors know what you are going through and will answer any of your questions.
Our Level Up treatment center can help with inpatient therapy programs exclusively. Depending on the extent of mental health disorders, we can first help assess your condition and, after that, guide you to suitable treatment options. We do not provide outpatient and PHP services at this time. Call to learn more about how we can help and how you can benefit from Cigna.
Your call is private and confidential, and there is never any obligation.
- Cigna. (2020). Company profile.
- Healthcare.gov. (2021). Mental Health and Substance Abuse Coverage.
- Cigna. (2020). Summary of benefits and coverage: what this plan covers & what you pay for covered services: Cigna Connect 6500.
- Cigna. (2020). Summary of benefits and coverage: what this plan covers & what you pay for covered services: Open Access Plus IN.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (2020). Medicaid.
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. (n.d.). What’s Medicare?
- Cigna. (2020). Cigna Open Access Plus medical plans.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018). Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment: A Research-Based Guide (Third Edition): Types of Treatment Programs.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2014). Principles of Adolescent Substance Use Disorder Treatment: A Research-Based Guide: Treatment Settings.