CBD for ADHD Overview
Using CBD for ADHD. Disorders of focus, impulse control, and energy regulation are hallmarks of ADHD, a common neurodevelopmental illness. While conventional treatments are available, some prefer CBD (cannabidiol) instead. We discuss the possible uses of CBD beyond the treatment of ADHD and its potential benefits in managing ADHD symptoms. This article is an excellent resource for anyone interested in learning more about CBD’s potential or looking for new ways to handle ADHD.
Struggling with ADHD? Join numerous individuals who have found support in We Level Up for Mental Health treatment. Contact us 24/7 for confidential assistance. Our addiction professionals are here to guide you on your recovery journey.
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol, commonly known as CBD, is one of over 100 naturally occurring compounds in the cannabis plant. Unlike its well-known counterpart, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), CBD does not produce the psychoactive effects of marijuana use. Instead, it is recognized for its potential therapeutic properties and is widely used in various forms for its reported health benefits.
- Non-Psychoactive: CBD is non-intoxicating and does not induce the “high” typically associated with cannabis use.
- Legal Status: The legal status of CBD varies by region and country. It is available over-the-counter in some places and may be regulated or restricted in others.
- Potential Health Benefits: CBD is being studied for its potential to address various health issues, including anxiety, pain, inflammation, epilepsy, and more.
- Forms of Consumption: CBD is available in various forms, including oils, capsules, gummies, topicals, and even as an ingredient in skincare and wellness products.
- Interaction with the Endocannabinoid System: CBD interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system, which regulates various physiological processes.
- Research Continues: While CBD shows promise in several areas, ongoing research is needed to fully understand its effects and therapeutic potential.
CBD for ADHD Benefits
- Anxiety Reduction: CBD may help alleviate anxiety, commonly associated with ADHD, leading to improved overall well-being.
- Improved Focus: Some individuals report enhanced focus and attention when using CBD, potentially contributing to better ADHD symptom management.
- Fewer Side Effects: Compared to traditional ADHD medications, CBD may have fewer and less severe side effects for some individuals.
- Natural Alternative: CBD is derived from the cannabis plant but typically contains minimal to no THC, offering a non-psychoactive and more natural option for managing symptoms.
- Potential Complement: CBD can be used as a complementary approach alongside other ADHD treatments, providing a more holistic approach to symptom management.
Get Help. Get Better. Get Your Life Back.
Searching for Accredited Dual Diagnosis Mental Health Centers Near You?
Even if therapy failed previously, or are in the middle of a difficult crisis, we stand ready to support you. Our trusted behavioral health specialists will not give up on you. When you feel ready or just want someone to speak to about counseling alternatives to change your life call us. Even if we cannot assist you, we will lead you to wherever you can get support. There is no obligation. Call our hotline today.FREE 24/7 Dual Diagnosis Mental Health Services Hotline
CBD Fact Sheet
- CBD, or cannabidiol, is a natural compound derived from the cannabis plant, known for its potential therapeutic benefits.
- Unlike THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), another cannabis compound, CBD does not induce psychoactive effects or a “high.”
- ADHD (attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder) is a neurodevelopmental condition characterized by symptoms such as inattention, impulsivity, and hyperactivity.
- It is a common disorder that affects individuals of various age groups, including children and adults.
CBD and ADHD
- Scientific evidence on the use of CBD for ADHD is currently limited, with a lack of comprehensive clinical studies to establish its efficacy.
- Some individuals with ADHD report anecdotal benefits from CBD, such as improved concentration, reduced anxiety, and better sleep.
ADHD CBD Individual Variability
- Responses to CBD can vary significantly from person to person, and finding the optimal dosage for managing ADHD symptoms may require experimentation.
Safety and Considerations
- CBD is generally considered safe and well-tolerated, with few reported side effects.
- Consultation with a healthcare provider is recommended before using CBD for ADHD, especially if you are taking other medications or have underlying medical conditions.
- The legal status of CBD varies by region and country, so be aware of local regulations.
ADHD and CBD Complementary Approach
- CBD may be explored as a complementary approach to conventional ADHD treatments, such as medication and behavioral therapy.
- Some individuals seek holistic and natural alternatives to address ADHD symptoms.
CBD ADHD: Need for Further Research
- Ongoing clinical studies are needed to establish the efficacy and safety of CBD for ADHD conclusively.
- The scientific community continues to investigate CBD’s potential role in managing ADHD.
CBD For ADHD Patient-Centered Care
- ADHD management should be tailored to the individual’s needs and may include a holistic treatment plan incorporating CBD as one element.
CBD for ADHD Statistics
CBD (cannabidiol) has garnered considerable attention recently as a potential alternative treatment for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). While research is still evolving, some promising statistics and examples shed light on the relationship between CBD and ADHD.
- Prevalence of ADHD: According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately 6.1 million children in the United States have been diagnosed with ADHD. This condition persists into adulthood for about 50% of those diagnosed in childhood.
- Traditional Treatments: Stimulant medications like methylphenidate and amphetamines have been the standard treatment for ADHD. However, these drugs have potential side effects, leading some individuals to seek alternative therapies like CBD.
- CBD Usage: Anecdotal evidence suggests that many individuals with ADHD use CBD products to manage their symptoms. A survey conducted by the Brightfield Group found that 64% of CBD users reported using it for anxiety, and ADHD often co-occurs with anxiety.
Approximately 33% of American adults have tried CBD products.
Source: Consumer Brands Association
The global CBD market was estimated to be worth over $9 billion in 2020 and projected to grow significantly.
American adults reported using CBD.
CBD for ADHD, Does it Help?
Despite increased interest, research into the effects of CBD (cannabidiol) on attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is still in its infancy, and definitive proof of its efficacy is missing. Some essential considerations are as follows:
- Limited Scientific Research: While some preclinical and anecdotal evidence suggests that CBD may have potential benefits for managing specific ADHD symptoms, such as hyperactivity and impulsivity, there is a significant lack of rigorous clinical studies involving human participants.
- Individual Variability: Responses to CBD can vary widely among individuals. Some people may report improvements in focus, anxiety reduction, or better sleep, while others may not experience any noticeable effects.
- Alternative or Complementary Approach: Some individuals with ADHD may explore CBD as an alternative or complementary approach to traditional treatments like stimulant medications or behavioral therapy. It’s essential to consult with a healthcare provider before incorporating CBD into your ADHD management plan.
- Safety Considerations: CBD is generally considered safe and well-tolerated, but it can interact with certain medications, and its long-term effects are still not fully understood. It’s crucial to consult with a healthcare provider to ensure that CBD is safe and suitable for your specific situation.
- Regulatory Status: The legal status of CBD varies by region, and it’s essential to be aware of local regulations and source CBD products from reputable sources.
CBD ADHD Considerations
When considering the use of CBD for ADHD, there are several important considerations to keep in mind:
- Consult a Healthcare Professional: Seek advice from a healthcare provider familiar with ADHD and CBD.
- FDA Approval: Be aware that CBD lacks FDA approval for ADHD treatment.
- Product Quality: Choose reputable CBD products with lab-tested certificates of analysis.
- Potential Side Effects: Understand possible side effects, including dizziness and dry mouth.
- Medication Interactions: Be cautious of potential interactions with ADHD medications.
- Dosing and Form: Experiment with dosage and choose a suitable CBD form (tincture, capsule, etc.).
- Manage Expectations: Recognize that CBD effects can vary, and it may not work for everyone.
- Legal Compliance: Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal CBD laws.
- Complementary Approach: Consider CBD as part of a comprehensive ADHD treatment plan.
- Long-Term Effects: Stay informed about emerging research on CBD’s long-term effects on ADHD.
End the Emotional Pain. Get Your Life Back.
Feeling Depressed, Anxious or Struggling with Mental Health Illness? Get Safe Comfortable Mental Health Dual Diagnosis High-Quality Therapy From Counselors That Care. Begin Your Recovery Now.Hotline (855) 940-6125
CBD Gummies for ADHD and Anxiety
CBD gummies are a popular form of CBD product that some individuals with ADHD and anxiety may consider trying as part of their wellness routine. Here are some key points to know about CBD gummies for managing ADHD and anxiety:
- Convenience: CBD gummies are easy to consume and offer a discreet way to incorporate CBD into your daily routine. They come in pre-dosed servings, making it simple to control your dosage.
- CBD Content: When choosing CBD gummies for ADHD and anxiety, check the label for the CBD content per gummy. Dosages can vary, so selecting a product that aligns with your needs is essential.
- Non-Psychoactive: High-quality CBD gummies are typically made from CBD isolate or broad-spectrum CBD, which means they contain little to no THC. This ensures you won’t experience psychoactive effects or a “high.”
- Anxiety Management: Some individuals find that CBD gummies can help alleviate anxiety symptoms, such as restlessness and nervousness. CBD may promote relaxation and a sense of calm.
- ADHD Symptom Relief: While research on CBD for ADHD is ongoing and limited, some anecdotal reports suggest that CBD may help focus, attention, and impulsivity. Results can vary among individuals.
- Consultation: It’s essential to consult with a healthcare provider before using CBD gummies, especially if you have ADHD or anxiety. They can guide dosage and monitor your progress.
- Quality and Source: Choose reputable brands that provide third-party lab testing to ensure product quality and purity. Look for products made from organically grown hemp.
- Holistic Approach: CBD gummies should be considered part of a holistic approach to managing ADHD and anxiety. They can complement other strategies, such as therapy and lifestyle modifications.
- Personalized Experience: Individual responses to CBD can vary, so it may take some time to find the right dosage and product that works for you. Start with a low dose and adjust as needed.
CBD Oil for ADHD
The time it takes for an individual to become addicted to Valium (diazepam) can vary widely and is influenced by several factors. Addiction is a complex process, and not everyone who uses Valium will develop an addiction. Some key factors that can affect the timeline of addiction development include:
- Dosage and Duration of Use: Valium at higher doses or for an extended period increases the risk of developing tolerance and dependence. Prolonged use, typically beyond a few weeks, is associated with a higher likelihood of addiction.
- Individual Differences: Each person’s response to Valium is unique. Some individuals may develop a dependence relatively quickly, while others may take longer.
- Frequency of Use: Using Valium more frequently, such as daily rather than as-needed, can expedite the development of dependence.
- Misuse and Recreational Use: Using Valium for non-medical reasons or in higher doses to achieve a euphoric effect can rapidly lead to addiction.
- Co-Occurring Factors: Co-occurring mental health conditions, such as anxiety or depression, can increase the risk of using Valium as a coping mechanism and developing addiction.
- Genetic and Biological Factors: Some individuals may have a genetic predisposition that makes them more susceptible to addiction.
First-class Facilities & Amenities
World-class High-Quality Mental Health Services & Behaviroal Health Substance Abuse TreatmentRehab Centers Tour
Renowned Mental Health Centers. Serene Private Facilities. Inpatient Rehab Programs Vary.Mental Health Helpline (855) 940-6125
Proven recovery success experience, backed by a Team w/ History of:
- 15+ Years Experience
- 100s of 5-Star Reviews
- 10K+ Recovery Successes
- Low Patient to Therapist Ratio
- Comprehensive Dual-Diagnosis Treatment
- Complimentary Family & Alumni Programs
- Coaching, Recovery & Development Events
- Comfortable Onsite Medical Detox Center
CBD for Depression and ADHD
CBD (cannabidiol) has garnered interest as a potential complementary option for managing depression and ADHD (attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder). Here’s an overview of how CBD may be considered for these conditions:
CBD for Depression:
- Mood Regulation: CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid system, which plays a role in regulating mood. Some studies suggest that CBD may have antidepressant-like effects by influencing serotonin receptors in the brain.
- Anxiety Reduction: Depression and anxiety often coexist. CBD’s anxiolytic (anxiety-reducing) properties may help individuals with depression manage their anxiety symptoms, contributing to overall well-being.
- Sleep Improvement: Many individuals with depression experience sleep disturbances. CBD may promote better sleep quality, crucial for mental health and mood regulation.
- Holistic Approach: CBD should be part of a holistic approach to managing depression. It can complement other strategies such as psychotherapy, lifestyle modifications, and prescribed antidepressant medications.
Are There CBD Strains for ADHD?
Yes, there are CBD strains and products that individuals with ADHD may consider exploring. While CBD itself is a compound found in the cannabis plant, it doesn’t come in different “strains” in the same way that THC-rich cannabis does. However, there are several factors to consider when choosing CBD products for managing ADHD:
- CBD-to-THC Ratio: Some individuals prefer CBD products that contain minimal or no THC, as THC can have psychoactive effects. Look for “CBD isolate” or “broad-spectrum” products for THC-free options.
- Full-Spectrum CBD: Others may find that full-spectrum CBD products, which contain a range of cannabis compounds (including trace amounts of THC), offer a more balanced effect. However, these products may have legal restrictions in some areas.
- Terpenes: Certain terpenes, aromatic compounds in cannabis and other plants, may benefit focus and mood. For example, strains with higher levels of terpene limonene may interest those with ADHD.
- Dosage: Finding the proper CBD dosage is crucial, as individual responses can vary. It’s advisable to start with a low dose and gradually increase it until you achieve the desired effects.
- Product Type: CBD is available in various forms, including oils, capsules, gummies, and more. Consider your preferred method of consumption.
- Consultation: Consult a healthcare provider before using CBD, especially for managing a medical condition like ADHD. They can guide product selection of the best CBD for ADHD and dosage.
World-class, Accredited, 5-Star Reviewed, Effective Mental Health Dual Diagnosis Programs. Complete Integrated Inpatient Rehab with Free Post Discharge Therapy Planning.CALL (855) 940-6125
End the Emotional Pain Rollercoaster. Gain Stability & Happiness Through Recovery Treatment. Start Mental Health Counseling Today. Get Free No-obligation Guidance by Behaviroal Health Specialists Who Understand Mental Health Recovery.
CBD for ADHD Focus Treatment
We Level Up, as a dedicated center for ADHD treatment, offers comprehensive and compassionate support to individuals managing ADHD. Here are some of the critical services and benefits we provide:
- Personalized ADHD Management Plans: We understand that each person’s experience with ADHD is unique. Our expert team creates personalized treatment plans tailored to individual needs, ensuring the most effective and targeted support.
- Evidence-Based Therapies: We utilize evidence-based therapeutic approaches, including cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), behavioral therapy, and mindfulness techniques, to address the core challenges of ADHD and teach practical coping strategies.
- Medication Management: When medication is a part of the treatment plan, our experienced medical professionals carefully evaluate and manage medication options to optimize their effectiveness while minimizing side effects.
- ADHD Coaching: Our coaching programs provide valuable guidance and support for individuals with ADHD, helping them improve time management, organization, and executive functioning skills.
- Individual and Group Counseling: We offer one-on-one and group therapy sessions, allowing individuals to explore their unique challenges and share experiences in a supportive and understanding environment.
- Family Education and Support: We recognize the significance of family involvement in managing ADHD. Our programs include family education and support to enhance understanding and strengthen familial bonds.
- Holistic Approaches: We incorporate holistic approaches such as mindfulness, yoga, and exercise routines to promote overall well-being and improve focus and attention.
- School and Workplace Support: We collaborate with educational institutions and workplaces to provide strategies and accommodations that help individuals with ADHD thrive academically and professionally.
- Behavioral Interventions: We offer interventions focusing on reducing impulsive behaviors, improving self-control, and enhancing social skills.
- Long-Term Support: We are committed to ongoing support after the initial treatment phase. Our aftercare planning and resources ensure individuals have the tools and guidance to sustain their progress.
- Confidentiality: We respect the privacy and confidentiality of our clients. Your journey to manage ADHD is personal, and we provide a safe and discreet environment for support and growth.
- Accessible Care: We strive to make our services accessible and convenient with flexible scheduling and remote options for consultations and therapy sessions.
At We Level Up, we aim to empower individuals with ADHD to effectively manage their symptoms, improve their quality of life, and thrive. We provide a nurturing and supportive environment where individuals can embrace their unique strengths and conquer the challenges associated with ADHD.
At We Level Up Treatment Center, our dedicated team is devoted to helping you overcome the challenges of managing ADHD and co-occurring conditions. We offer comprehensive support, individualized guidance, and compassionate care throughout your journey towards a more fulfilling life. Let’s embark on this transformative path together towards managing ADHD effectively.
Experience Transformative Recovery at the We Level Up Treatment Center.
See our authentic success stories. Get inspired. Get the help you deserve.
Start a New Life
Begin with a free call to a behavioral health treatment advisor. Learn more about our dual-diagnosis programs. The We Level Up treatment center network delivers recovery programs that vary by each treatment facility. Call to learn more.
- Personalized Care
- Caring Accountable Staff
- World-class Amenities
- Licensed & Accredited
- Renowned w/ 5-Star Reviews
We’ll Call You
Popular CBD for ADHD FAQs
Can CBD Help with ADHD?
CBD should not be considered a replacement for traditional ADHD medications. It may be used as a complementary or alternative approach but should only be done under the guidance of a healthcare professional.
Is CBD Oil Good for ADHD?
The effectiveness of CBD oil for ADHD is still being researched, and its suitability as a treatment option varies from person to person. Consult a healthcare professional for personalized guidance.
8 Steps & Tips for Maintaining Your Mental Wellbeing Informative Video
We at We Level Up FL are dedicated to personalized mental health services tailored to each person’s unique needs. Our experienced team collaborates closely with clients to create therapy programs that address their challenges and align with their goals. With empathy and support, we empower individuals to take an active role in their mental health journey by providing tools and strategies. We encourage exploration, self-discovery, and growth in a safe and nurturing environment. We understand that everyone is different, so we listen attentively and develop customized therapy plans based on individual concerns, strengths, and aspirations.
Search CBD for ADHD Benefits, Considerations, and Uses Drug & Alcohol Rehab / Detox & Mental Health Topics & Resources
- National Institute of Mental Health. (2020). Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Learn More: does cbd help adhd, cbd oil adhd
- Hoch, E., Niemann, D., von Keller, R., Schneider, M., Friemel, C. M., Preuss, U. W., Hasan, A., & Pogarell, O. (2019). How effective and safe is medical cannabis as a treatment of mental disorders? A systematic review. European Archives of Psychiatry & Clinical Neuroscience, 269(1), 87–105. Learn More: does cbd help adhd in adults
- Crippa, J. A., Zuardi, A. W., Martín-Santos, R., Bhattacharyya, S., Atakan, Z., McGuire, P., & Fusar-Poli, P. (2009). Cannabis and anxiety: a critical review of the evidence. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical & Experimental, 24(7), 515–523. Learn More: cbd for adhd autism
- Lee, J. L. C., Bertoglio, L. J., Guimarães, F. S., Stevenson, C. W., & Guimarães, F. S. (2017). Cannabidiol regulation of emotion and emotional memory processing: relevance for treating anxiety-related and substance abuse disorders. British Journal of Pharmacology, 174(19), 3242–3256. Learn More: does cbd help with adhd in adults
- Shannon, S., & Opila-Lehman, J. (2016). Effectiveness of cannabidiol oil for pediatric anxiety and insomnia as part of post-traumatic stress disorder: A case report. The Permanente Journal, 20(4), 16-005. Learn More: is cbd good for adhd, is cbd oil good for adhd
- Loflin, M. Earleywine, M., De Leo, J. & Hobkirk, A. (2014) Subtypes of attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and cannabis use. Substance Use & Misuse, 49 (4), 427-434. Learn More: what cbd is best for adhd, cbd and adhd adults
- Tweed, V. (2020). Can CBD help you sleep? Better Nutrition.
- Sarris, J., Sinclair, J., Karamacoska, D., Davidson, M., & Firth, J. (2020). Medicinal cannabis for psychiatric disorders: a clinically-focused systematic review. BMC Psychiatry, 20(1), 1–14.
- High‐potency cannabis more than quadruples risk for use disorder within a year. (2019). Brown University Child & Adolescent Psychopharmacology Update, 21(2), 1–4.
- Bidwell, L. C., Henry, E. A., Willcutt, E. G., Kinnear, M. K., & Ito, T. A. (2014). Childhood and current ADHD symptom dimensions are associated with more severe cannabis outcomes in college students. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 135, 88–94.