Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT)
The US Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) has several approved MAT medications to treat alcohol and opioid use disorders. This helps relieve the withdrawal symptoms and psychological cravings, and MAT is one of the most effective options for treatment.
Programs, services, and treatments vary. We Level Up FL is a primary mental health center offering co-occurring treatments. We treat the entirety of behavioral health disorders including their secondary corresponding illnesses to improve long-term recovery outcomes. Get a free mental health assessment and find out what treatment options are most suitable for you. We Level Up Florida can help with inpatient primary mental health therapy. Depending on the extent of secondary behavioral disorders such as addiction we can first help assess your condition and thereafter guide you to suitable treatment options.
Medication Assisted Treatment is the use of medications, in combination with psychotherapy to provide a “whole-patient” approach to the treatment of substance use disorders.
Medications used in MAT are FDA approved, and MAT programs are clinically driven and tailored to meet each patient’s needs. Research shows that a combination of medication and therapy can successfully treat these disorders, and for some people struggling with addiction, MAT can help sustain recovery. This is according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration .
MAT is effective in the treatment of opiate addiction and can help some people to sustain recovery.
The prescribed drugs operate to:
- Normalize brain chemistry
- Block the euphoric effects of alcohol and opioids
- Relieve physiological cravings
- Normalize body functions without the negative and euphoric effects of the substance used.
- The main goal of MAT is the patient’s full recovery. That includes the ability to live a productive life.
MAT may show the following results:
- Improve patient survival.
- Increase retention in treatment.
- Decrease illicit opiate use and other criminal activity among people with substance use disorders.
- Increase patients’ ability to gain and maintain employment.
- Improve birth outcomes among women who have substance use disorders and are pregnant.
Research from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration  shows that these medications and therapies can contribute to lowering a person’s risk of contracting HIV or hepatitis C by reducing the potential for relapse.
The US Food and Drugs Administration (FDA)  has several approved MAT medications to treat alcohol and opioid use disorders. This helps relieve the withdrawal symptoms and psychological cravings, and MAT is one of the most effective options for treatment.
MAT Medications for Alcohol Addiction
Many experts in addiction believe that patients with moderate or severe alcohol-related problems should undergo medication assisted treatment (MAT). Alcohol addiction is a treatable medical disorder.
Medication is part of a comprehensive treatment approach that includes psychotherapy and social supports.
The following drugs do not provide a cure for alcoholism by themselves. However, the individual must participate in the MAT program to get the most effective result.
- Acamprosate: For people in recovery who are no longer drinking alcohol and want to avoid drinking. It works to prevent people from drinking alcohol, but it does not prevent withdrawal alcohol symptoms. It has not been shown to work in people who continue drinking alcohol, consumes illicit drugs, and engage in prescription drug misuse and abuse. Full effectiveness may take effect in five to eight days.
- Disulfiram: This treats chronic alcoholism. It is most effective in people who have already gone through detoxification. Disulfiram should never be taken while intoxicated, and it should not be taken for at least 12 hours after drinking alcohol.
- Naltrexone: This blocks the euphoric effects and feelings of intoxication. Also, it allows people with alcohol use disorders to reduce alcohol use and to remain motivated to continue to take the medication, stay in treatment, and avoid relapses.
MAT for alcohol/opioid addiction has proven effective around the globe when combining certain medications with a comprehensive treatment program:
- MAT improves the survival rate.
- Patients are able to retain and apply the skills and concepts learned in counseling.
- The potential for relapse drops significantly.
- Physical health begins to noticeably rebound.
- Mental clarity begins to return.
- The likelihood of transmitting or contracting any disease is greatly reduced.
- Criminal activities are far less likely to occur than during active use.
- Employment opportunities increase significantly.
- Childbirth outcomes are vastly improved.
- Healthy, positive choices in most areas of life increase immeasurably.
At We Level Up FL Treatment Center, we provide world-class care with round-the-clock medical professionals available to help you cope. Make this your opportunity to reclaim your life. Call today to speak with one of our treatment specialists. Our counselors know what you are going through and will answer any of your questions.
Inpatient medical detox and residential primary addiction treatment may be available at our affiliated facility at Level Up West Palm Beach Rehab. For some primary behavioral health treatment clients, medical detox and or addiction rehab may be required first. If you have a co-occurring severe substance abuse diagnosis, please contact us prior to beginning inpatient mental health therapy. Treatment services may vary. Please call us to learn which treatment options are most suited for your individual needs.
 Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration – https://www.samhsa.gov/medication-assisted-treatment
 US Food and Drugs Administration – https://www.fda.gov/drugs/information-drug-class/information-about-medication-assisted-treatment-mat
 National Institute on Drug Abuse – https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/medications-to-treat-opioid-addiction/how-do-medications-to-treat-opioid-addiction-work